In the previous post “Compatible Optics for Arista-7250QX-64“, we are clear that the features and compatible direct attach cables and optical modules of the Arista 7250QX-64 switch. But how to make the right connection? Is there anything to notice before and in the process of installation? This article would provide a satisfying solution for you.
The proper connectivity procedures and some installation notes are very essential for connection between DAC cable and the switch. The detailed information are just below.
1. If the QSFP+ DAC cable connector is covered with a rubber safety cap, remove the cap. Save the cap.
2. Check the port on the switch and make sure the right connectivity. If you choose 40G QSFP+ to QSFP+ DAC cable for connectivity, please make sure that is a 40G port.
3. Insert the cable connector into the switch port.
Figure1: Connecting a DAC cable to a switch
4. Secure the cables so that they do not support their own weight. Place excess cable out of the way in a neatly coiled loop. Placing fasteners on a loop helps cables maintain their shape.
1. Before you begin connecting the QSFP+ DAC cables to the switch, ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions for safe handling of lasers.
2. Do not bend the QSFP+ DAC cables beyond their minimum bend radius. An arc smaller than a few inches in diameter can damage the cables and cause problems that are difficult to diagnose.
3. Do not let the DAC cables hang free from the connector.
4. Do not allow fastened loops of cables to dangle, which stress the cables at the fastening point.
There are many QSFP+ transceiver types supporting Arista 7250QX-64, including QSFP-40G-SR4, QSFP-40G-XSR4, QSFP-40G-PLRL4, QSFP-40G-LRL4, QSFP-40G-PLR4, QSFP-40G-LR4, and QSFP-40G-ER4. Before you begin installing one QSFP+ transceiver in an Arista 7250QX-64 switch, ensure that you have a rubber safety cap available to cover the transceiver. And to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage to the transceiver, do not touch the connector pins at the ends the transceiver. Figure 2 shows how to install a QSFP+ transceiver.
Figure 2: installing a QSFP+ transceiver in a switch
1. Remove the transceiver from its bag.
2. Check to see whether the transceiver is covered with a rubber safety cap. If it is not, cover the transceiver with a rubber safety cap.
Warning: Do not leave a QSFP+ transceiver uncovered except when inserting or removing a cable. The rubber safety cap keeps the port clean and prevents accidental exposure to laser light.
3. If the port in which you want to install the transceiver is covered with a dust cover, remove the dust cover and save it in case you need to cover the port later. If you are hot-swapping a transceiver, wait for at least 10 seconds after removing the transceiver from the port before installing a new transceiver.
4. Using both hands, carefully place the transceiver in the empty port. The connectors must face the switch chassis.
Caution: Before you slide the transceiver into the port, ensure that the transceiver us aligned correctly. Misalignment might cause the pins to bend, making the transceiver unusable.
5. Slide the transceiver in gently until it is fully seated.
6. Remove the rubber safety cap when you are ready to connect the cable to the transceiver.
From the above passage, we may observe that it is not difficult to connect QSFP+ DAC cables or QSFP+ transceiver to the Arista 7250QX-64 switch. Whether you are using DAC cables or QSFP+ transceivers to make connectivity, please remember that do not look directly into a optical transceiver or into the ends of the DAC cables, the laser light may damage your eyes. FS.COM offers large and in-stock Arista 40G QSFP+ DAC cables as well as 40G QSFP+ optical transceivers. If you need any of our products, please feel free to contact us.